Since there are so many pictures for today, I'm breaking it into two posts. This one will be around camp, and the other one is our kayak trip to Echo Bay.
The Indians called the handheld one "mano" (MAH-no), and the flat stone "Metate" (may-TA-tay). It works like a mortar and pestle.
I'm grinding the home-dried eggs into a finer powder so they reconstitute faster.
We made french toast on some of the bread I made yesterday.
The darker stuff is the coarse dried egg, and the lighter is the ground dried egg.
It only took about 10 minutes to grind it. In 'civilization' I could have put it in the blender.
Then I would have had to take the blender apart and clean it, since egg is somewhat oily.
That would have taken longer than hand-grinding, and I wouldn't have gotten to sit out and enjoy the desert sun and quiet morning.
After breakfast I drained the dried strawberries I started soaking yesterday. Using sugar and cornstarch I made "jelly" and added in the strawberry bits. It was wonderful on the homemade bread! We made sandwiches to take along on our kayak trip.
Steven started the fire in the pit he dug yesterday for the dutch oven.
I put the pinto beans I soaked overnight into the dutch oven, added a bit of flour and seasoning salt, then spread bacon strips on top (from a jar of home-canned bacon).
The darker stuff is the coarse dried egg, and the lighter is the ground dried egg.
It only took about 10 minutes to grind it. In 'civilization' I could have put it in the blender.
Then I would have had to take the blender apart and clean it, since egg is somewhat oily.
That would have taken longer than hand-grinding, and I wouldn't have gotten to sit out and enjoy the desert sun and quiet morning.
In the bowl to the left, under my arm, is the biscuit dough I mixed up.
I rolled the dough into balls and put them on top of the beans and bacon.
No comments:
Post a Comment