Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mon. 3/28 Pumpkins

Usually it's the internet messing up.

Today, it's the blogspot website or something on it.

My posts keep coming up with random spaces between sentences and pictures.

I've gone back and fixed that, line by line, just to have it do it again when I hit "post".

Sigh...

Sorry some of these posts look messy.

Sunset.


Sunset. I thought we'd work backwards today! Just kidding. I uploaded the pictures in the wrong order. Steven took his rifle and rode down near the river to do some coyote calling.
There he goes!



While he was gone I cut up the pumpkins I brought from home.

They're the ones I grew in the garden and picked when we were getting a killing frost.

They ripened in the house, something I didn't know until this year could be done!

It's amazing they kept this long.


A couple of the seeds were sprouting inside the pumpkin!



I cut them up and put them in the solar cooker to bake.

The seeds and pulp are in the bucket, but I sorted the seeds out later.


In the afternoon I went for a short bicycle ride.

Those tall plants back there are Yucca.

The bush in the bottom left corner is Greasewood (Creosote).


Greasewood and Yucca.



We had tacos for dinner, using home-canned venison, home-canned cheese, home-dried tomatoes and onions, (store-bought taco seasoning), and lettuce grown in a bucket!



I was going to sleep on the roof and admire the stars, so I got my bed ready before it got dark.

After dark, the wind suddenly blasted us, and blew my sleeping bags off the uhaul!

The wind blew sand and dirt against the uhaul all night.


This was earlier, before dark and the wind.

Steven lit the campfire.



Behind the campfire, to the left, is the solar panel, the solar cooker, and working this way toward the fire, a pile of Beavertail cactus pads.



We roasted marshmallows.



Not your average s'more!

Peanut butter cups instead of Hershey bars!

Delicious!

I tried to imagine what this burning wood looked like.

A fish? A snake?



Steven's pictures from his ride this morning.

He took the right fork.



This is the plains on the edge of the Virgin River, which is to the right, out of picture.



From hill above river valley



Looking west across river valley.

You can see the red rocks of Valley of Fire.



Lake Mead, the very north end.



Rest break.



I singed the "glochids" (small spines) off the Beavertail Cactus pads.

No comments:

Post a Comment