Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tues. Mar. 15

We made grilled cheese sandwiches using some of our home-canned cheddar cheese.
They were delicious!

The jug in the lake has drinking water in it. I tied a rope to it and let it float in the shade of that bush so we'd have cool water for our "iced" tea at dinner time. The 55 degree lake water was cooler than the 80+ degree air temperature. The water sitting in the uhaul was 'tepid'!
I tied the rope to a tire that was laying on the beach.
The jug laying on the sand is an old milk just that I use to haul lake water up to the uhaul for various uses other than for drinking. We'd planned to boil and filter lake water for drinking, but we haven't gotten around to that yet!

This is what I use in place of eggs for baking, such as for making pancakes, muffins, or anything that calls for eggs to be mixed in. I've been using this stuff for around 20 years, and it's great.
You can't fry it in a pan like real eggs. It's a mixture of things like tapioca and leavening, and works as a binder and a leavener.
I don't have to worry about having fresh eggs on hand, and it's cheaper to use than eggs when you have to buy eggs. At home with our hens, we have plenty of eggs, and we dried the excess eggs over the summer. I've been using the dried eggs for things like french toast and omelettes on this trip.

This is the latest emptied jars, since the last time we washed dishes.
Most contained meat (primarily venison), cheddar or cream cheese, or butter.
We're doing good at eating the stuff we brought with us. We've used about a third of the home-canned stuff we brought, a lot of the dried stuff, and almost a whole bucket of four. I have two more buckets of flour. As we get into sunnier weather we'll use more of the beans and rice, in the solar cooker or dutch oven.
It's hazy a lot these days. Those dozens of streaks of airplane lines kind of dissolve into wide thin filmy bands, and they run together and block the sun. We also get smog from Las Vegas when the wind is the right direction.

Knowing it was our last day on Lake Mead for a couple of weeks, I escaped the 83 degree temperature by playing around on the lake in my kayak.
Odie thought it was fun, as long as I stayed near shore.

When Odie got bored and went to chase lizards I paddled out farther.
I drifted along, just looking down at the rocks and stuff on the bottom, about 30' down.
A few times I had fish swim by underneath and not seem to notice or care I was there!

Back by the uhaul I laid on the lawn chaise in the sun, reading a book. I laid backward on the chaise to I could lay on my stomach and I put the book on the ground. The sun felt good!

"Code name: "night hawk", special forces mouse-catcher. Um...super-powers would be nice about now, such as the ability to fly!"
The cat on the roof of the uhaul.



No comments:

Post a Comment