
We bought a bag of apples in Mesquite, so this morning I made fried apple pies for breakfast.

This is a Beavertail Cactus. I used the knife to break it loose from the plant, then speared the knife into the hole where it had been connected to the plant. Then I took it inside, lit the propane stove, and singed off the "glochids". The little brown 'spots' on the pads contain hundreds of tiny spines called glochids. You can get dozens of them in your skin and they're hard to see and pull. After I singed them off, I cut the cactus open. I scraped out the inner flesh, put it in a bowl nd mashed it and poured water on it. Several hours later I used it for a hair rinse after I washed my hair with baking soda. My hair was soft and fluffy when it dried.

This is a yucca plant. We cut a few of the fresh leaves to see if the scrapings would make soap. We gathered several of the dead/dried leaves to pound and separate into fibers. We're going to try to make sandals like the Paiutes did. It was windy all day. I mean, it was WINDY all day! Most of the day we stayed inside and read library books and worked on our writing. I finished up another fiction story so I could post it when we got to the library (Which I did today) I made mashed potatoes, chicken chunk gravy, peas, and bread & butter for dinner. How "suburban" is that? ha ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment