It was five degrees when we woke up this morning! We've been sleeping in our son's house, but tonight on the road we'll be sleeping in the uhaul-camper, and everywhere along our route for today has a forecast of lows in the teens! We'll be plenty warm in our sleeping bags, it's just that part about getting up in the morning. Crawling out of that warmth into frosty cold air! We'll probably use the propane stove to take the chill off the air. We'll have to heat water for hot chocolate anyway.
I might have to fill the tea kettle before we go to bed, since the water will probably freeze overnight. If the water is already in the tea kettle it'll melt as the stove heats it.
I'll probably lose my "mobile garden" (peas, lettuce, and cantaloupe I started, and my pepper plant) since I can't imagine how to keep it warm tonight. I can transfer the potatoes from the bucket into bags and put them in my sleeping bag with me. Not sure what will happen to the 3 cases of pop. Maybe bring them up in the overhead bed loft and hope our body heat keeps them from freezing solid and bulging? Or worse yet...exploding pop cans in our bed! "Gaaah!"
The kitten is doing fine in the uhaul. Every time I go in there she's curled up in my big fuzzy bathrobe. Odie, the dog, thinks she's in puppy-heaven, being up in the cab with us. She thinks her role in this adventure is to assist the driver. I'm trying to convince her that her job is to be on MY side of the truck, laying across my legs to keep them warm!
We're planning to leave Kalispell this afternoon and drive until we decide it's time to stop. In my opinion that would be whenever we get to a place that's at least...oh...50 degrees or warmer! But I don't think we'll get that far tonight! We'll probably be somewhere in eastern Idaho or northern Utah.
I probably won't have time to upload pictures until we get to southern Nevada. Unless something really good comes up! And of course, the annual picture of me hugging the first palm tree we see, which is in St. George, Utah in the far SW corner of the state!
No comments:
Post a Comment