Monday, February 28, 2011

Feb. 27, Sunday

This morning it was 36 outside and 54 inside. Once the sun comes up, it warms up quickly.
But that first hour or so it's kinda cool in the uhaul. We make hot chocolate and sit with blankets around our legs while we talk, read, do Sudoku puzzles, or work on our computers.
I had to re-learn that computers are still useful when there's no internet access!
The cat sits on the bed waiting for one of us to get up.
As soon as we do, *whoosh*, she's in our spot where it's nice and warm!
We went for a walk this morning.
Odie couldn't understand why we didn't walk through the puddles too!
There's a loop of gravel roads about 2 miles in length that has become our "route".

Odie, defending her turf!
On the small mesa a few hundred yards away is a black truck.
The people came in, hiked down to the water, then back to their truck and left.
Odie watched their every move!
This is looking northeast from the uhaul.
There's a bit of new snow on the mountains.
The tall one is Virgin Peak, south of Mesquite.

Camoflouged cat, stalking rabbits.
(Look close, she's there!)


We watched these airplanes track across the sky.
Wonder if they waved as they passed each other?


Self-portrait...sillouette!
Bicycle ride.


About 5 miles from camp, looking back down toward lake.
That brown square on near shore, almost to right of picture, might be the uhaul.
I haven't enlarged it to see.
Across from it, on the far lake shore, just to the right of center, is that Island we see from camp.

About 6 miles from camp two canyons meet here and form one wash.
It's a cool place to climb around and explore.


Standing on the same spot as the previous picture, I turned and faced the lake.


This desert flower grows bravely out of the rocks.


Looking out one of the many cavelike holes in the canyon.


A desert bush in bloom.
Jojoba?
I have two different desert plant books. This bush looks like the picture of Jojoba in the one book, but doesn't look like the picture of Jojoba in the other book.
Anyone know?

I used the first jar of home-canned bacon tonight with dinner.


I unrolled the bacon from the parchment paper and put it in the frying pan.


Sizzling away in the skillet!


While the bacon cooked I mixed up biscuits. From scratch, not Bisquik!
After I removed the bacon from the pan I fried the biscuits in the bacon grease, flipping them once, and leaving the lid on the rest of the time to help 'bake' them.

After removing the biscuits I fried some pinto beans in what was left of the bacon grease.
Then I stirred the bacon into the beans and served the whole mess over the biscuits.
Good stuff.
Not heart healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Susan & Steve!
    Great pictures and a great story! Snowed another ten inches in MT and still snowing. Stay warm and have a great vacation!
    Love,
    Susan Coon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, how great to hear from you! For those who don't know, she and her family are geographically our closest neighbors in the rural outback of NW Montana! I've heard you've had lots of snow up there since we left, as well as a bit of sub-zero temperatures! Let's hope it melts fast and you have an early spring! We'll be home after the snow melts to get the garden started! You all stay warm up there! We miss you all! Love, the other Susan!

    ReplyDelete