Friday, February 18, 2011

Thursday and Friday, 02/17 & 18

The wind quieted in the night, although it was still breezy. Earlier in the week rain was predicted for today (Thursday) and yet the sun rose into a cloudless sky! We hopped on the motorcycle and rode over to Mesquite to pick up a few things at Wal-mart, like socks for someone (not me!) who didn't bring enough, and electrical outlet stuff to finish the wiring system in the uhaul. We found a couple other things to buy, like cup hooks so we could hang them in the uhaul under the shelves (I did, when we got home), and a larger kettle, like about a 2-quart one, since someone (me?) forgot to bring it.
It was a fantastic ride over there and back. A little gusty in places, and a little unnerving having semi-trucks passing us on the interstate, but overall a great ride. It's like flying when you go through the desert, surrounded by greasewood bushes and Joshua Trees and Rabbit brush, just floating through the desert. Hard to explain, but it's a nice ride.

Across from Wal-mart is one of the best Little Caesar's restaurants I've ever seen.
Because it has a PALM tree in front of it, instead of an icy snowbank like the one at ome in Montana! Ha ha!

Back at the uhaul I screwed in the hooks and hung our cups (not pictured above) and put up a towel bar I brought from home, and put a few dish towels on it (also not pictured above).
What IS pictured above is the plastic potato chip can I used for packing silverware for this trip. It made a dandy container for it.

On the rocky outcrop where yesterday there were waves crashing againsty it, today sea gulls sit there and look for goodies in the water.


A view from the shore below our uhaul-camper.
This is looking south/southwest toward Echo Bay.


Steven carried a bundle of driftwood up to our fire ring.


" The lion stalks tonight!"
The kitten's ego has grown.


Late afternoon shadows on the far ridges add depth to the scenery.


This is looking east from our campsite.
A band of whild burros has been hanging around on that far shore.
The sound of their braying comes across the water.
One of these days we'll paddle the kayaks over and get a closer look.
We can see them through the binoculars.

Steven has the fire going, and the dog is his friend now that he's holding a pack of polish sausages in his other hand!


Just gotta have some junk food now and then for a balanced diet.
Some foods are healthy for the body.
Some foods are healthy for the mind.
Mind and body...balanced!
lol
(For those people in the midwest who've never had a polish sausage,
they're kind of like bratwurst!)
We decided to poll the readers of this blog. If you were given a choice to roast marshmallows or hot dogs over a campfire, which would you choose?

The moon started to rise over the ridge to the east while we were eating.
(We had pork & beans with the polishdogs. More "mind-health" food.)


Moon's a little higher


It's so beautiful.

This morning, Friday, We woke up early (5:30) and watched a Desert survival DVD while drinking our hot chocolate. Then we went for a bicycle ride for about an hour, just exploring dirt roads in the area, to get warmed up and get the blood circulating.

I made biscuits & gravy and sausage patties for breakfast. When we were still at home in Montana, Steven made this nifty set-up for me to use the camp oven on the one-burner propane stove. He drilled holes in those boards and now I can set the campfire grill over the stove. Then I set the oven on the rack.


I mixed up enough dough for 6 smallish biscuits. The last two I flattened and pushed it into a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon, then rolled them up like a cinnamon roll.


Before we left home, Steven cut my 6-hole jumbo muffin pan to make a 4-hole and a 2-hole.
The pan inside the oven has biscuits, and the 2-hole one has the cinnamon biscuits.
When the cinnamon ones were cool, I made a small amount of powdered sugar frosting
for them. They were delicious.

I opened a jar of sausage patties that I canned at home, and fried them.
They're like brown & serve, since the pressure canning process cooked them.

Then I made gravy. Here's the complete meal.


Some of you are familiar with the seed project we're heading up.
A friend bought this can of seed off of ebay that was packed for long-term storage in 1979. It's been stored in an attic in Pennsylvania for 32 years, and now our friend in Idaho had it. He mailed it to us and asked us to find people in different parts of the country to grow them. I put out a query on a site I belong to, with gardeners, and started a list of who and which seeds.
Today's the day I mailed the first batch of seeds. I went outside with my list, my little ziplock bags, and the can of seeds, and sat in the sun.
I looked at the can, and I thought about what things were like back in 1979 when this can was packed. I thought about the person who bought the can, and I realized that he/she probably wondered what the world would be like when or if the can of seed ever had to be opened. What kind of disaster or other situation did they picture...or fear?
We hope to learn a lot about the viability of seed packed for long-term storage.
The goal is to find out what or if anything grows, and how it does in different locales.
There's seed left, if someone else want's to try a test area in their garden.

There's the contents of the can


While I was working on sorting the seeds, Steven decided to play with fire...or rather, with starting a fire with the hand-drill method.

No comments:

Post a Comment