Friday, February 18, 2011

Monday night and Tuesday, 2/14 and 2/15

Now that we're back at the library, I had these all captioned and then I lost the library WIFI and lost everything I spent almost an hour writing.
These are the pictures I uploaded right before the library closed last Friday and I didn't have time to caption. Meanwhile, I appreciate the caption ideas some of you sent me.
I'll start again on this, but my heart isn't in it. I probably won't have time to do much on what I hoped to upload today while we're here.
I have my own laptop computer with me. I don't use the library computers. So it's not like I'm limited to an hour or something, but we never seem to get here until just a couple hours before they close.

"It feels good to stretch out after a hard day's work. I'm glad we brought this whole bunk just for me! (Courtesy of Marge B.)

"Gotta show me your ID or you don't get in! Or was it out?"
Odie sleeps by the door and keeps us safe.

The cat helps me read while Steven, on the other side of the cat, is already asleep!
I held the camera out with my left hand and watched where the red glow for the flash
lined up on the cat, and snapped the picture.

"Roll down it again. It's still sandy"
The cat doesn't like to get sand in her paws!
(Caption courtesy of Becky R.)


"Does this gargoyle pose make me look fat?"
(Caption dedicated to Karen, for her appreciation of 'does this **whatever** make me look fat?)


"Someone let the air out of the tether ball!!!"


"Scritch, scritch, scritch, scrape, scrape, chop, chop"
Steven found the perfect piece of wood for making a boomerang!

"Pet me!"
Having a dog can be like having a 2-year old!

We tested out our pocket stove.
Steven manned the fire.

I cooked the food!


The small pan on the right, on the ground, is refried beans. They're hot now and sitting in the sun against the heat of the stove to stay warm.
The pan on the stove is taco meat.
The food heated very quickly, though Steven had to keep feeding it sticks.
We liked how efficient and quick it was to heat with.
This stove and/or similar ones can be ordered from sites such as
Dinner is ready!

While we ate we watched a DVD from the library on Desert Survival.
Since we spend a lot of time in remote desert areas, it seemed like good information for us.
Most of it was geared toward how to stay alive while waiting to be found, such as after bailing out of your aircraft and parachuting to the ground.
It was a collection of military training films, some of which was highly enterntaining since they were filmed in the 50s and 60s!
We did learn some good survival tips, though.

We're getting ready to go wash laundry and take baths.
The first part of the road from where we're camped is deep, loose gravel, so
I walk up to the top and wait for Steven and the motorcycle.

This is where I get on the motorcycle.
Our laundry is in that bucket on the back.

We rode a few miles up the road and hiked half a mile back to a hot spring at the base
of a mountain. First thing we did is inflate the bathtub.
Then we took the laundry out of the bucket and Steven brought hot water from the spring
to fill the 'bathtub'!
This is where he dipped the water out of. The water comes from the ground to his left.
Many years ago the government made this little channel and put in a temperature monitoring station. It was already here 30 years ago when I used to live near here.
I don't know if they still monitor the springs or not?

The spring is in a gully below the tall bushes behind the 'bathtub'.

After my bath I washed clothes.
Steven kept my bucket filled with clean water.
We don't use chemicals on our clothes or our bodies.
Baking soda for the wash, vinegar for the rinse.
Water dumped far from the stream flowing from the spring.

Steven washed the blue jeans in the bathtub.


"Shouldn't there be a red carpet on the ramp?"
We've been calling it our 'drawbridge'.
Wonder if we could dig a moat? :)

We had a campfire this evening.
The stars were beautiful in the clear desert sky.
There was an endless line of airplanes going over to land at Las Vegas.


Odie went back and forth between us, getting petted!

No comments:

Post a Comment