My husband has a favorite quote. It's the Darwin one, the one that says it isn't the strongest or the smartest that survives, it's the most adaptable.Adapt we will.
The good news is, we're still going to Nevada. The "different" news is that it won't be in our uhaul camper that we've worked so hard on. The reason? Insurance.
When we checked in November, our insurance company said no problem. Gave us a quote that was very reasonable. We said we'd wait until right before we left, then put the insurance on the uhaul.
This afternoon, we called them up and went through the most amazing circus with them! First they told us that since it's a uhaul truck, we'd have to have a commercial policy, separate from the policy with our car and pick-up truck on it. We told them the uhaul is privately owned by us, and is never, and never will be, used for commercial or business purposes. They said it didn't matter, it was still a uhaul truck. ???
So they transferred the call to their commercial department, and we thought we might at least see how much THAT would cost.
But in a very short time the person on the phone said they couldn't insure it at all....because we did the work in it ourself! ??? WHAT????
We said we didn't want to insure anything inside it anyway. We just wanted liability insurance, like for when we're driving down there. They said they couldn't do that. We asked why it couldn't just be insured like any motorhome, because our state motor vehicle department had no problem at all with it. They said they couldn't do that because...we built it ourself!
Now, I've seen home-made campers around here built into vans, trucks, buses, delivery trucks, etc. I know someone must be insuring them!
Next I called up the insurance lady in a nearby town where we used to get our insurance before we discovered we could save $150 every six months by buying it directly from the company online. She laughed and said she never heard such nonsense. She was going to check around and get us some quotes, and call up the company we'd been talking to (where we get our car insurance) and find out what that was all about.
That was at 1:30 this afternoon. She's never called back. Meanwhile, we got to talking about the uhaul, and the price of gas, and the stuff going on in Egypt, and how it could get more expensive, and how little MPG the uhaul gets. So we revised our plan. Talk about adapting.
The new plan: We're taking our Jeep Cherokee and the 4' by 8' trailer the motorcycle is currently on. We'll take the motorcycle off, load the crates and buckets of food, dishes & pans, and everything else onto the trailer, along with our big tent, the bicycles and the kayaks. ...and off we'll go.
As long as we go, as long as it's warm, and as long as we have adventures, I don't care how we get there. I'd head south on my bicycle if I had to!
Stay tuned! And remember, roll with the flow. Adapt to whatever life hands you. I'll enjoy a cup of lemonade for you all when I get to warm-country!
This will save space, since I can cram them in around things in the crates, plus I don't have to hang onto the jars while we're on the road.
No comments:
Post a Comment